Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bollywood actor Karan Johar


Karan Johar, being Karan Johar, is in a state of barely controlled excitement.

His new film Wake Up Sid - well, it’s produced by his company Dharma Productions but directed by young Ayan Mukherji, is ready for release on October 2.

And more than what kind of magic the leading actors Ranbir Kapoor and Konkona Sen Sharma might bring to the screen, I suspect the producer is keen to see how well his debutant director will pull off this new kind of film at the box office. Last night, after he had wound up work on his future production My Name Is Khan, Karan unburdened some of his excitement onto me. He was on the phone, and saying, “The title is not mine, it’s Ranbir’s, we were struggling with names like Sid Ka Kya Kare and Sid Is Such a Kid, when Ranbir called up Ayan and said, ‘Why not call it Wake Up Sid?’”

He first thought the title was not correct Hindi. But then Karan realised, his film had the right audio, to which the title was providing the correct synergy. And as it turned out, Ranbir was expressing the film in three words! Because that’s what it’s supposed to be all about... Sid’s coming of age, his waking up to life, to love, to his family. “I had a basic instinct kind of feeling that this was the title,” Karan admitted.

“I am all about instinct, as a filmmaker and as a person. And really, this is the first coming of age story in India. I saw the spark in Ayan when he was just 22, 23. He was my assistant on Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna. And he had a writer in him. I heard his script and said I want to do it. I believe if you can write a film, you can direct it, because you are working from strong basics.”
I don’t know how many big and successful filmmakers who are also established and fabulous directors, would trust their film to a new man, but Karan did. He pooh-poohed the gesture. “I can’t make a film like Wake Up Sid,” he protested.

“Ayan has a certain looking-forward-to in his life, whereas I have come of age, there is a sense of achievement, and besides... I’m too mature and cynical!” So, while this is a Karan Johar film, you will find none of the glamour, opulence and drama of earlier Dharma Production hits like Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Kal Ho Na Ho or even Dostana in it. “It’s a subtle endeavour,” Karan explained gently, “I wanted to expand my base and make a new kind of film. Something different from my sensibilities.


He was, of course, available to Ayan to see footage of the film, to hear its music, and to make sure the director was not a ‘Me Too’ version of himself. “But there is no conflict or confusion,” Karan said generously, “it’s Ayan’s voice, his vision, his core conviction forms the body of the film. I gave it my good wishes and my energy. But he had to find the soul.” I will not spoil Wake Up Sid for you by describing the film. Go and see it. Identify with the story, with the boy at career crossroads, still living a sheltered life with his parents, making the wrong decisions, ignoring the right options, recognise the subliminal layer of parenting we have all experienced, you will find the film’s USP is your own high relativity with it. That is what Karan Johar, who believes in the good karma at Dharma, wants. “My fingers and toes are crossed, I’m hoping for a good flag off,” he sighed into the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment